The house remodel is behind schedule but still progressing decently well. I keep meaning to spend time to write a post, but between my travel schedule picking up (for fun, not work) and finishing out the school term it just keeps slipping behind. The big changes so far are in the kitchen and master bath and in overall paint and prep.
As I mentioned before this was a complete gut. We started with a primer white, poorly utilized space that included carpet… PINK carpet *cringe*, brass, and oak finishes. It’s a pretty spacious bathroom all things considered and includes both a large window and a skylight.
We decided to enclose the toilet in a “toilet room”, whatever those things are called, since we shifted the shower to the right. It also creates a linen closet space which is handy because I demolished the old linen closet to make a larger walk-in master closet.
With the shower shifted far right we did have to remove one of the window panes, but it was an easy sacrifice for a better layout. It also allowed us to put in a double shower that made more sense then the side-by-side that was going on. There is room to the right of the window for the cast iron claw foot tub I insisted on buying.
At this point all of the plumbing and electrical has been moved, construction, drywall, and paint are done. We are primarily waiting to start installing fixtures. I’m not sure I like the paint color. It was intended to be a soft blue, but with the interior of the skylight getting painted and the lack of installed light fixtures it’s looking pretty smurfy. I am having the painters repaint the skylight well white again and we will see if the fixtures help mute the color. We also are adding white beadboard wainscoting which should help cut down the intensity of the blue. I still reserve the right to have the whole thing repainted. Since all the flooring came up we add in heated floors which will be nice.
The kitchen wasn’t a complete gut, but it is getting a pretty hefty makeover. We opted to keep the cabinets to save some money, but the gas stove was directly in front of the fridge which made it completely block the traffic flow and restricted it to a smaller 30″ stove top. It also used a downdraft so it was really a pretty small work surface. The sink was standard and there was an oven/microwave combo which I’ve come to hate. When the microwave dies you are stuck replacing the whole unit. We’ve already done that in the little house. The wood floors were pretty heavily worn, but not severely damaged thankfully.
The painted cabinets came out beyond my expectations and really brighten up the space. I love the farmhouse sink. We still need to tile the back splash but we finally picked out the tiles. The wood floors need to be refinished, but you can see Geoff already retrofitted the cabinets for the double oven. Sorry for the dark picture, all of the light fixtures had been pulled for painting. We have glass inserts that will go in to a couple of the upper cabinet doors when Geoff has time.
In addition to reconfiguring the gas stove to get it out from in front of the fridge and increase it to a 36″, Geoff was able to add venting for a proper range hood. The counters and island top are a lovely quartz with swirls of tan, grey, and some sparkle. We decided to have them extend the island top so there is now room for a couple stools at the end. Geoff also reconfigured the island cabinets to accommodate a fridge drawer which will be great for entertaining. Ignore the rusty looking cabinet hinges, the painters didn’t know there were new nickel ones when they rehung all the doors.
The upstairs bathroom, main floor half bath, studio, basement, barn, and exterior are still under some state of progress. I’d say any of them is more on the 25% done range. The big thing still outstanding really are the floors. They are supposed to start on the hardwoods in about two weeks and by then the exterior painting and staining should be complete and the barn getting closer to done. We did learn that the pale yellow color on the house was actually primer and the original owners just never painted the house *head desk* It certainly explains why the exterior looks so shabby. The basement was not originally on our list, but someone told the drywallers to fix anything they saw and they ventured to the basement and found plenty to fix :). So now it needs a new coat of paint. I wasn’t wild about the paint down there (it was a slightly shimmery gold) but it wasn’t hideous. The guestroom and bathroom were both partially finished down there anyway so that still needs to be done.
I go through ups and downs with the house remodel. Largely I am the pocket book and not doing much of the work, but it’s still stressful and Geoff spends a good deal of his free time working over there so we don’t see each other as often as I would like. I pretty much hate moving and dislike change so this is all mentally taxing on me. I’m certain the house will be simply beautiful when we are done, but I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the process. The hope is that we can move in about a month, but our schedule starts getting really busy for the summer. We still have a wedding to finish planning too.